Many a time, I lost potential clients because someone down the street can do a few dollars cheaper.
Typically client just focus on cost instead of value.
I think the best way to educate a client to see value is to list all the detail services we are going to provide.
Instead of saying " Site Visit", we should expand it to :
- Do I go alone or will I bring a survayor and civil engineer ?
- How long are we going to spend at the site ?
- Do I charge for any extra trips ?
- Do I provide freehand sketch or 3D CAD ?
- Any cardboard/foam model ?
- How many hours to be spend on concept design ?
- What kind of software will be used ? ( show samples of cheap renderings VS high resolution renderings)
- Are we providing any preliminary cost estimation ?
If we explain our service in details, I believe a reasonable client will see the additional value instead of additional cost. But again, trust your gut feeling about a client. Sometimes it is best to walk away from a project no matter how much the client wants to pay you.